Research Paper Writing Manual: 6 Steps to Accomplishing the Task
A research paper can be very detailed and time a lot of time to finish properly. You will need to research material that will support your main ideas. You will then smoothly and carefully combine your ideas with the support you have located. The paper has to be a perfect blending of your ides and the sources. The more research papers you write, the easier the job will become for you. Follow our 6 steps for help.
6 Steps to Accomplishing the Task
- Pick a perfect topic-if you can pick a topic that you love and have interest in, you will do a better job on the composition. You will spend a lot of time with this project, so it is better to like the topic. You will not always be allowed to select your own topic, but when you do get to, pick an interest of yours.
- Know how to cite-because you will use references in the piece, you have to know how to create and properly place a citation within the piece. The different styles, such as Harvard or Chicago, ask for different material, so be very knowledgeable of the format you are using. There are many online instructional guides that you can use for guidance, as well as hard copy books.
- Academic databases-find out if your school has purchased access to academic databases for its students. Using an academic database will relieve the worry of knowing if a source is credible, reliable, and valid. Theses three things are a must with your sources. Your media center may have to issue you the user name and passwords for the sites, or they may be posted at your school media center website. Talk to the media center specialist.
- Use an outline-use an outline to guide you through this rather detailed and lengthy process. It will act like a map for the way you move from your introduction to your conclusion. Taking the time to do the pre-writing work, will make the writing process go easier and quicker. If you have no guide to follow, your paper will be all over the place with no distinct direction. This may also negatively impact your sentence structures and transitions.
- Use an example-before you begin to pre-write, find a model paper for you to use as a guide. You can locate papers for guides online or at a writing business. If you do not pay a fee to the writing company, you will not get to see the entire paper. You have to pay to have total access. The cost will not be exorbitant. There will be other free papers online that you can model, but you need to be careful that a qualified person writes the example properly.
- Collaborate with a peer –if you work with a friend or classmate, you will find that the job is easier and it takes less time to finish. By assisting each other, you can help with researching, outlining, pre-writing, writing, editing, and finalizing the piece. Studies have shown that collaboration improves students’ work and performance. You just must make sure that you do not copy each other’s work word for word. That is plagiarizing and you want to stay away from that.
As you work on this huge project, sure our six hints. You need to make sure to pick a good topic, know how to cite within the piece, use academic databases, use a detailed outline, model from an example, and collaborate with a fellow classmate.